How To Style Maxi Dress for Any Occassion [7 Ways]
Want to get that flattering look with a maxi dress? Here is how to style maxi dress in 7 different ways.
Maxi dresses are the go-to for most women’s wardrobes, and for good reason. They’re versatile, affordable, and flattering on almost every body type.
But many women have trouble styling maxi dresses because they don’t know what to wear with them or how to style them differently.
When it comes to styling a maxi dress, know that they are like a blank canvas, and there are several ways you can style them.
The right way to choose a style is based on what occasion you will wear it; as a maxi dress goes well for most events, including formals and dates, you can use the below styling guide to get that stunning look.
How To Style Maxi Dress For Any Occasion [7 Ways]
Styling any kind of modest dress is a lot more dedicated to what kind of occasion you will wear it on. As a maxi dress is a go-to for most events, you just need to know how to style them to get that right look.
Let’s take a look at how to style maxi dress. in different ways.
1. Pair a Maxi Dress With a Denim Jacket
Styling a denim jacket with a maxi dress is the perfect way to add some edge to your look. Whether you’re wearing a maxi or midi dress, a denim jacket, especially one with a classic fit that hits at the waist, looks great. It helps give some of those dresses with more flow a shape.
If you are wearing a bold red maxi dress with wedge heels, you can pair it with a black denim jacket and minimalistic accessories to elevate your look.
However, if you wear a maxi dress on vacation, a floral maxi dress with a blue denim jacket and sneakers is just the right pick. It just gives you the perfect modern, laid-back vibe.
Besides, if you want to wear one at home, pair the maxi dress with an oversized denim jacket for a more relaxed feel. The key here is finding something fitted that fits well in all the right places but still accentuates your body type rather than hiding it under layers of fabric.
2. Layer It Up With a Coat
You can just throw on a breezy maxi dress and look instantly put together in the summertime. Meanwhile, there’s no such thing as a throw-on-and-go outfit in the winter. However, you can still pull off an outfit that looks effortless with the right layering.
So how do you layer maxi dresses in winter?
- The easiest way to wear a maxi dress in winter is with a furry coat—it makes for an effortless fashion statement that will keep you warmer. Try pairing your coat with brown boots for an extra pop of color under those long hemlines.
- You can also wear pants underneath for a fashion-forward look that’ll keep you warmer. If it’s icy out (like below freezing), try adding thermal pants to further protect against the elements.
3. Wear Your Maxi Dress With a Turtle Neck Top
If you don’t want to wear jackets and long coats, try layering your maxi dress with turtlenecks for an elegant look.
A turtle neck top is a great way to add a layer and give your maxi dress a more modest look. They are also great for layering since you can wear them with almost anything. It is one of the easiest, no-fuss ways to make any outfit look elegant.
You can pair any solid-color turtleneck top with a deep-neckline maxi dress that you wouldn’t normally feel comfortable wearing. This will give you more coverage.
You have to make sure you don’t go overboard with bold colors while styling your maxi dress. It’s best to stick with neutral colors because they will go with most of your other clothes too.
Also, while styling a turtleneck top underneath, always choose one made of thin material so it doesn’t make your outfit look too bulky.
4. Add a Belt To Spice Up Your Look
A belt can be used to add drama and elegance to your look. It helps highlight the waist and gives the outfit a more structured look.
Belts come in a wide variety of materials, colors, and styles to suit a wide range of body types. So, how do you choose the right belt?
First of all, choose the belt that compliments your maxi dress color and style. You want something to make you stand out in a crowd without overwhelming it with too much bling or fabric.
If your dress has a defined waistline, you can accentuate it by wearing a thin belt around your waist. This is a great way to add a feminine touch to an outfit.
Wide belts are another option if you want to make a unique statement. It is perfect for creating an hourglass shape and will do wonders for most waistlines.
A wide belt is your best bet if you want to cinch in your waist when wearing a shapeless shift dress or an empire waist maxi dress.
5. Style With an Oversized Sweater
An oversized sweater is your secret weapon in creating an effortless silhouette with your maxi skirt.
You can pair this look with anything from an oversized hoodie or sweater to a more layered look that will keep you warm for winter weather. This look is perfect for anyone who wants to create an effortlessly dapper outfit in just minutes.
Here’s how to style a maxi dress with an oversized sweater:
- Choose the right maxi dress for this look, we recommend choosing one that fits well and has a flattering silhouette on your body type.
- Balance it out with an oversized sweater. You can pair a maxi dress with sweaters that are sized larger than what you usually wear—they’ll give you just enough coverage without feeling like you’re bundled up or trying too hard. Plus, they fit perfectly under the arms, so there’s no awkward tugging around when you move around all day long.
- Pair it up with knee-high boots for extra warmth during those colder months ahead and you’re good to go.
6. Tie Up a Button-Down Shirt Over a Maxi Dress
If you’re looking for an easy way to turn a maxi dress into a skirt, this is definitely the one. Start by tying up your button-down shirt at the waist and rolling up the sleeves. This look is great if you’re on the go, as it’s comfortable and straightforward with no fuss required.
Colored maxi dresses go well with white button-up shirts. For a pop of color, you could also wear a solid-colored maxi dress with a patterned or abstract shirt.
By wearing oversized shirts, you’ll add that definition and can step up your whole look. For a comfortable and cool look, you can finish off your outfit with a trendy sling bag.
This is an excellent fit if you are on a getaway to a beach and have a party later in the night. All you have to do is remove the hat and the button-down shirt, and you are party-ready on the beachside with a flowy maxi dress outfit.
7. Accessorize It the Right Way
The right accessories can turn your look from dull to divine. Accessories are the best way to enhance your style and make it personalized. They add fun, color, and dimension to an otherwise simple outfit.
For example, if you wear a plain white maxi dress with no adornments, there’s not much going on in terms of style or personality. However, adding an accessory like a scarf or a handbag gives you a more exciting and fun look.
When you wear a maxi dress to a special event, choosing the right accessories is the key. On such occasions, you can wear a minimalist necklace, bracelet, and a thin watch to make you look more put-together.
While the bracelets, necklaces, and watches drive attention to your elegant look, it is pretty essential to also choose the right soles for your legs.
For a party, or social events, you can style a wedge heel or a high heel with your maxi dress, and for casual outings, you can style them with white sneakers; just the perfect choice.
A Few More Tips on How To Style Maxi Dress Outfits
- Go for lighter fabrics like silk or cotton during the summer months; woolen materials are better suited for colder seasons.
- When wearing a maxi dress, make sure your shoes are statement pieces in color and style. They should be higher heels and will help elongate the look of your legs. If you want to wear flats or sneakers, go for something colorful and sporty.
- You can also pair your maxi dress with simple accessories like a necklace or earrings, ensuring that your outfit stays on-trend without being too over-the-top.
Wrapping Up: Different ways to style maxi dress outfits for a new look
That brings us to the end! There are many ways to style a maxi dress; since this is such a classic and simple piece of clothing, you can have fun styling it in any way you desire.
With so many styling options available, you’re sure to find the perfect maxi dress outfit for almost any occasion. So, don’t be afraid to experiment with different colors, patterns, and fabrics.
Now that we know different ways how to style maxi dress, let us know in the comments which is your favorite look.